Friday, January 14, 2011

guest post from alex shebar of yelp

“There’s nothing to do in Cincinnati. It’s so boring. This town sucks. You suck. Everything about this place sucks.”


Seriously, don’t you just want to roundhouse kick those people to the face? If I hear one more person tell me that there’s nothing going on in Cincinnati, I’m taking it into my own hands ... feet … something *KaPow!*


Ok, granted, Cincinnati is not a city like, say, New York. You’re not going to walk outside and have eight awesome things handed to you. Here, you sometimes have to search for a fun event, a new restaurant, a cool bar, a funky shop or whatever you want to do on weekdays and weekends. It can be kind of a pain.


So let me make that search a little easier for you.


Hi, I’m Alex! (all together now: “Hi, Alex!”) I’m the relatively new Community Manager for Yelp.com here in Cincinnati. I’m also the guy who did the Watch This movie project last year (with the help of my amazing girlfriend), where we watched all of the AFI’s Top 100 movies in a year including screenings like King Kong on Fountain Square and Indiana Jones at The 20th Century Theatre.


I’m also a Cincy Import (having been here for about two years now and being part of the group for almost as long) and I love this city. I love that I get to now rep it for a living. Seriously, awesome.


(editor's note: alex and his girlfriend allison met through cincinnati imports at our covington pub crawl! they are our first, and only as far as i know, love connection. but it could be you next!)


Ok, so, Yelp. You haven’t heard of it, or you’ve sort-of heard of it but haven’t used it. Not a problem. While Yelp is monstrous in cities like Boston, New York, Chicago, San Francisco and others, we’re only really getting started here in Cincy. Still, the information on Yelp will open up this city to you in ways you never expected.


Yelp gives you real reviews for businesses from real people. So let’s say you’re looking for Cincinnati’s best hamburger, or vintage clothing shop, or grocery, or park or literally anything you do everyday. You can use Yelp to find what other people are talking about and loving – or what they’re hating and you may want to stay away from. Then, of course, you can add your own reviews to these places to give your own opinions.


But, of course, that’s not all! When exploring the site, you may see some nice red badges on some people’s profiles (maybe even your friends.) They’re part of The Elite Squad, and have written the best reviews on the site. Once a month, I throw a party for the Elites with free booze and free food at great locations around Cincinnati – bars, cafes, art galleries, music clubs, bowling places, you name it. It’s just another way for Yelp to show new things this city has to offer to you.


Plus, it’s all free. Free to use, free to write reviews, free to become an Elite. Yelp will never ask you for any money to do anything, so that’s all kinds of nice right there.


Seriously, Yelp really is great for a city and even better for the people living in it. Give it a shot and let me know what you think. I’m here to answer any questions you have or help you out in any way, and I’m pretty nice … my mom thinks so at least, so I’ve got that going for me.


SYOY (See you on Yelp!)

Alex Shebar


@YelpCincy / @AlexShebar on Twitter

Yelp Cincy on Facebook

No comments: